Smiling participants take part in the closing parade at Capital Pride in Ottawa, Ont. on Sunday, August 27, 2023. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

An abundance of rainbows and loving chants warmed Ottawa’s downtown core Aug. 27 as thousands gathered to enjoy this year’s Capital Pride parade and street festival

Throughout the week of Aug. 19 to 27, Capital Pride hosted events to create “opportunities to celebrate, advocate, educate and connect people [while] respecting the full diversity of the 2SLGBTQ+ community,” according to its website.

The nation’s capital buzzed with anticipation as people travelled from across the city and beyond to participate in the parade along Elgin Street, Gladstone Avenue and Kent Street. 

Families, couples, friends and individuals enjoyed the toasty weather while sporting rainbow attire and accessories. No outfit was the same, but everyone united in celebrating love, equity and hope. 

Rose Lee and Astrae Terrio came prepared with water bottles and cheer for this year’s parade. 

The Capital Pride street festival is an especially important day for Lee and Terrio. 

“Being here today, it means everything. It means that we can get to be ourselves and just be the best we all can be,” Lee said. 

The duo and their group flew trans flags supporting the 2SLGBTQ+ community. 

“I’ve had so much fun today,” Terrio shared. “Seeing my community represented on different floats and just hearing all the cheers is so wonderful.” 

Rose Lee and Astrae Terrio attend Capital Pride parade with their friend in Ottawa, Ont. on Sunday, August 27, 2023. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

Organizations such as Nokia, Ottawa Community Housing and OC Transpo attended the Capital Pride parade, energetically marching on foot or in floats to show their support with signs, smiles and cheers. 

Each organization flew pride flags and sported supportive signs with slogans, such as OC Transpo’s “Love moves us” and Ottawa Paramedic Services’ “We’ve got your back.” Many groups handed out merchandise such as fans, stickers, temporary tattoos and condoms. 

For Samantha Harta, attending pride is about “being connected to community and feeling safe to just be who you are.”

Harta said they enjoyed the positivity and community of this year’s celebration. 

“Everyone is just so friendly, you can really feel the joy,” they added.

Samantha Harta at Capital Pride in Ottawa, Ont. on Sunday, August 27, 2023. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

The upbeat and welcoming energy stretched beyond the Capital Pride street parade. 

Attendees enjoyed extended restaurant and bar patios, food trucks and live street entertainment on the Bank Street Stage.

Tents from companies and organizations shared pamphlets, merchandise, naloxone emergency kits and educational surveys. Many tents played music and housed a consistent flow of visitors as groups made their way around downtown. 

Moira O’Neil attended Capital Pride with her friends. 

“You can really feel the love today, it’s awesome,” O’Neil said. 

Her group attended Capital Pride to support the 2SLGBTQ+ community and all expressions of love and self.

“All of us want to belong and to be accepted exactly as we are. So that’s what this all represents,” O’Neil said. “It’s to accept others for who they are and to feel accepted for who you are.”

Moira O’Neil and friends at the Capital Pride parade in Ottawa, Ont. on Sunday, August 27, 2023. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

The energy in the nation’s capital was cheerful and welcoming. Pride flags were flown from the suburbs to the city centre, displaying acceptance and support for the 2SLGBTQ+ community.

Featured image by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan.