A Ravens Transit Guide

377
OC Transpo's southbound No. 2 bus departs Carleton campus on Thursday, September 14, 2023. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

With new and returning Carleton University students coming to campus for the new school year, some may be struggling to navigate Ottawa’s complex transit system. Not to fret, I’m here to help you with this simple guide, explaining the advantages and disadvantages of local transportation as a student.

Carleton students in the fall and winter terms taking at least 1.5 credits worth of courses are eligible for a U-Pass. The U-Pass gives you access to explore the city, the main perk being unlimited access to all OC Transpo services. 

For students following a standard fall/winter schedule, the U-pass is accessible until April 30. Students can renew their cards at the beginning of each fall semester, just by scanning them at a station near the Campus Card Centre.

There are a number of buses that come directly to the Carleton campus. These include lines No. 7 (St. Laurent/Carleton), 10 (Hurdman/Lyon), 111 (Carleton/Baseline) and the 2 (South Keys/Bayview). 

In my experience, the 7 (St. Laurent) is the most useful when it comes to finding a chill hangout spot. Travelling north along Bank Street, passing by restaurants and shopping opportunities, the 7 will get you exploring your local area. Additionally, this route takes riders down Sunnyside Avenue to Seneca Street, where you can stop at Haven, Carleton University Student Association’s (CUSA) bookstore and café. 

By the end of the route, you will have passed by the CF Rideau Centre and St. Laurent Shopping Centre, serving as an escape from school, a place to hang out with friends or somewhere to find job opportunities.

The Confederation Line of the Light-Rail Transit (LRT) system is an option that has become infamous for its frequent disruptions to service. However, when it does work, it is a useful and efficient way of getting to the downtown core. 

Carleton students can look forward to the LRT’s Stage 2 Trillium Line, slated to reopen this fall. The line will run directly through campus, heading either towards South Keys or Bayview Station. 

Having used OC Transpo for the past year, I have found it to have many flaws, one of which being the late arrival and departure of buses. This greatly impacts students’ schedules, as the bus often will not show up when it’s supposed to. While the new Transit app has up-to-date information on exactly where the bus is, there are many instances where it is severely delayed or cancelled with no notice to riders. Students should aim to be at the stop for an earlier bus than intended, as this allows for more chances to get to their destination on time.

Are buses not your thing? There are still other ways to get around the city, such as the new E-scooters. 

E-scooters can be spotted around the city and are a tourist favourite. They can be rented through your phone (via a QR code on the individual scooters) and returned to any signed station within the city. As part of Carleton’s new partnership with the Bird App, there are now scooter parking sites right near the edge of campus, ready for students wanting to use them to explore the city!

There are many ways for Carleton students to get around Ottawa. Bus, train, or scooter, there’s something for everyone. Try your best to enjoy your time waiting for the bus, Ravens!

Featured image by Owen Spillios-Hunter