The Charlatan Logo

Note: Application period for this position has been extended to August 26, 2023.

Who are we?
The Charlatan is Carleton University’s independent newspaper. Run by students for students, the paper has been providing the Carleton community with news and entertainment for more than 75 years.

Job Description: Multimedia/Web Editor
The Charlatan Multimedia/Web Editor is a detail-oriented part-time position with influence on many aspects of our paper. The Multimedia/Web Editor will report to the Editor-in-Chief and have a close relationship with the editorial staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

• Working alongside section editors to develop web content (i.e. embedding web code, videos, audio, infographics and interactive features) and determining multimedia needs as early as possible, including setting deadlines for multimedia requests;
  • Uploading other weekly content such as the PDF issue, the poll and editorial graphic to the Charlatan website;
  • Maintaining a weekly section summary detailing all multimedia, assigned volunteers and deadlines;
  • Recruiting, maintaining contact with and training multimedia volunteers and assigning multimedia requests to volunteers as necessary;
  • Addressing technical issues on the Charlatan website and reporting any website issues/improvements to the Editor-in-Chief;
  • Undertaking occasional special projects to improve the visual appeal and efficiency of the Charlatan website;
  • Other reasonable requests from the Editor-in-Chief or the Board as necessary.

Characteristics of a strong applicant include:

• Experience with WordPress;
  • Experience with basic web coding;
  • Experience creating audio-visual content;
  • Knowledge of the Carleton University community;
  • Creative;
  • Organized;
  • Resourceful;
  • Collaborative;
  • Positive attitude.

Other Important Information:
The position requires part-time work beginning in May.

Job Type:

• Part-time, approx. 10 hours every two weeks

Salary:

• $300, paid every two weeks

Schedule:

• Monday to Friday, flexible working hours

Experience:

• At least one (1) year of experience with web development/maintenance (Highly preferred)
  • At least one (1) year of experience with WordPress (Highly preferred)
  • At least one (1) year of involvement in the Carleton community (required)

Location:

• Ottawa, Ont.

COVID-19 precaution(s):

• Remote interview process

How to apply
Interested applicants should send a résumé and cover letter to the paper’s Editor-in-Chief, Faith Greco, at editor.charlatan@gmail.com by 11:59 p.m. EST on August 26, 2023. Successful applicants will be contacted for a virtual interview.