CUSA is working with the university to guarantee that the shelters will be set up for the winter. (Photo by Brendan Danielson)

Construction on heated bus shelters on campus began Nov. 6. and will be complete in time for winter 2013, according to Carleton University Student’s Association president Alexander Golovko.

Golovko said the CUSA executive came up with the idea of heating campus bus shelters last winter while consulting with students on how to improve campus.

“[We] expect the completion of the heated bus shelters in the near future,” he said via email.

An off-campus company has been hired for the project, he said.

Golovko said it is too early to determine the cost of the project. CUSA is currently in conversation with university administration in the hope of funding the bus shelters through the “Coke Fund.”

As part of the university’s exclusivity contract with Coca-Cola, the company sets aside a portion of money to fund student projects. The “Coke Fund” has been put towards developments in Rooster’s, Oliver’s Pub, and the Graduate Students’ Association’s community garden.

If using the “Coke Fund” is not possible, Golovko said CUSA will look at other funding options.

“We will definitely explore avenues to contribute to the project as this is a positive change for our students and campus,” Golovko said via text.