At some point in their lifetime, a staggering 20 per cent of Canadians will suffer from a mental health disorder, according to the Canadian Mental Health Association.  Everyone goes through a bit of a funk now and again, but bad mental health isn’t an easy thing to deal with. There’s a lot of stigma many still don’t understand.  

Countless support forums will tell you to eat well and talk to someone. It’s true—but there are lots of things you can do to take care of yourself. There’s a lot to be said for seeing a counsellor, taking medication, and talking to people in your life, but there’s a lot more you can do in your life now, even if you don’t have a mental illness. Self-care is for everyone, and it’s all about the little things.

1) Set smart goals. They must be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. I can admit from my own personal experience with mental health that I could be the grand empress of procrastination, if only I spent a little more time rallying my base and staging a coup. Who knew planning a coronation could be so much work? Tasks are hard to accomplish, but the more they pile up, the more overwhelming they become. Making small goals—like making your bed, and keeping your room tidy—can make this overwhelming pile more attainable.

2) Go to bed early and wake up early. I know, I know, I know—getting up at the crack of dawn isn’t often ideal and even harder for us insomniacs, but think about how you feel when you wake up past noon. Don’t waste a precious day away. Get up early, and enjoy that quiet time for yourself in the morning. Make a cup of coffee and think about all the things you can get done today—you have the whole day!

3) Get dressed. It’s so easy to stay in your sweatpants all day. Too easy, in fact. But fight the urge! Wearing sweatpants every day is comfortable, but it won’t make you feel good, even if you’re cozy.  Dressing your best goes a long way when your head isn’t in the best place. Put on something you like, and the feeling of confidence will outweigh the comfort of your pyjamas.  

4) Get outside. With Netflix, live-streaming, and other wealths of entertainment you can reap from the comfort of your bed, some days it’s easier to stay in all day without ever getting up. I know it’s safe there, but get outside, and you’ll feel better than you did lying in bed by yourself. Even if you don’t have anything to do, go for a walk. Ottawa has lots of great hiking trails—or coffee shops if you’re not into nature—that you can find by wandering in the right places.

5) Get back to doing something you like, or try something new. You can write a book on reasons why you shouldn’t pick something up again that you once enjoyed, or venture out into a new activity. But don’t let yourself make excuses. Go out there and do something that makes you happy! If you like to paint but don’t feel you’re as skilled as Van Gogh—paint anyways! Throw the paint at the canvas and see what comes of it. 

6) Get active. Doing something active at least once a day gets your blood flowing and calms the mind. Thanks to serotonin and a sense of accomplishment, you’ll feel better after a workout. You don’t have to run a marathon, but going for a bike ride, a walk, or even a bit of yoga can make a difference.

In other words, good mental health isn’t just about what’s in your mind—it’s also about your body and how you treat yourself on a daily basis.