Most of us believe having a substantial meal before a night of drinking justifies eating a pizza at 2 a.m. As much as we’d like it to be, this isn’t quite true. Everyone knows drinking on an empty stomach isn’t the healthiest option, but sometimes eating the wrong foods isn’t much better.

We’re often told not to drink on an empty stomach because it causes alcohol to go right to the bloodstream, thus the more you drink the more your blood alcohol level increases. According to Rosalind Breslow from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, having food in your stomach will help slow the alcohol absorbing.

So the question remains: If a substantial meal before drinking doesn’t justify indulging in our favourite munchies after a great night out, what is it that we should eat?

Popcorn: It may not sound as impressive as some of the other munchies you’re craving, such as nachos or fries, but popcorn is the best cure for salty cravings at 2 a.m. Popcorn is filling, so it does the job of satisfying your cravings without all the fat or salt in french fries.

PancakesIf you’re not one to get salty cravings, you might be wanting something sweet. In this case, pancakes aren’t a bad idea. Limit yourself on the amount of butter and go easy on the syrup. Pancakes are a great option if you’re looking to soak up some of that alcohol—and if it’s past 1 a.m., you’re getting close to breakfast time anyway.

Veggie pizza: Sometimes it’s just too difficult to give up pizza when you’ve got the munchies—for some of us it’s practically impossible. Ordering a thin crust veggie pizza contains fewer calories than traditional pizza, and the veggies are a healthy nutrient booster.

If all else fails, Canada’s Liquor Licence Act requires licence holders to ensure light meals are available to customers where they’re served alcohol. But this can be pricey, so if you’re going out, make sure you get something to eat beforehand. And don’t just eat anything—make your drunk diet a little healthier, and who knows, maybe the hangover won’t be so bad.