Photo by Zachary Novack.

A two-day conference held at Carleton highlighted the last 40 years of modern treaty making between Indigenous groups and the Canadian government.

The conference, which took place on March 7 and 8, focused on introducing young adults to the active world of public policy and administration in relation to Indigenous affairs.

Members of the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) and 15 youth leaders travelled from the township of Inuvik in the Northwest Territories to attend the conference, learning from local educators, researchers, and politicians while adding their own perspectives to the discussion of Indigenous identity and treaty rights.

The event was co-sponsored by the GTC, Carleton’s Faculty of Public Affairs, and Nunavut Sivuniksavut, a not-for-profit organization that provides college level programs for Inuit youth in Ottawa, according to the event’s website.

Carleton was chosen to host the conference this year due to the success of its undergraduate and graduate level Indigenous study programs, according to Jordan Peterson, an executive on the GTC.

Frances Abele, public policy professor and event co-ordinator, said she met Peterson at the first conference, which was held at Memorial University of Newfoundland last year. She added she decided the Gwich’in youth would benefit from visiting the Canadian capital, where many Aboriginal policies and affairs are decided.

Peterson said “the focus will be on introducing the group to the university experience, practical policy issues, and other cultures besides their own.”

In addition to the two-day conference, the students attended a National Hockey League game, were introduced to Algonquin elders, and observed a meeting of the Senate of Canada, according to Peterson.

Several of the GTC youth leaders were able to communicate their own stories and thoughts during the conference.

Concerning personal experiences with Indigenous identity, GTC youth leader Nicole Jacobson said, “The conference has had an emotional impact for me, reminding me of my family’s own interactions with colonialism, and how it will continue to shape my future.”

In attendance were two keynote speakers who had extensive political experience in dealing with treaty creation and implementation—Senator Charles Watt, who has served in the Senate for over 30 years, and Tony Penikett, former premier of Yukon.

Watt recounted early clashes with provincial and corporate powers and his role in bringing the question of sovereignty to the public sphere. He said there is still too much power concentrated in the hands of Ministers, and that co-operation between Indigenous groups is necessary for real change.

Penikett focused on the success of northern treaties, and he criticized the recent lack of meaningful international collaboration on land claims and resource sustainability.

Musical performances by Carleton student Laura Gagnon and speeches from renowned artist Nigit’stil Norbert were contrasted with a moving testimony on residential schools by Gwich’in elder Sarah Jerome.

Jerome said her education now is being used to teach on-the-land skills and help Gwich’in youth feel proud of their culture.

Watt added “these discussions are important for [the youth] to understand everything that they have, and what they are liable to lose.”