Guillaume Pépin (41) from the Ottawa GeeGees defends against Dominick Oliveri (0) from the Victoria Vikes for third place in the 2023 U Sports national championship at the Scotiabank Centre in Halifax, NS. on Sunday, March 12. [Photo by L. Manuel Baechlin/The Charlatan]

HALIFAX — With 4:03 left on the clock, uOttawa Gee-Gees head coach James Derouin made the call. Up by 18 points, he subbed out Guillaume Pépin, greeting him with a hug as Pépin reached the bench.

It marked the likely end to Pépin’s university career. A forward from Montreal, Pépin ranks seventh in program history in career points.

If Sunday’s bronze medal game was the way it ends, Pépin can go out smiling. The Gee-Gees blew out the University of Victoria Vikes 78-58, taking third place on the U Sports podium. Combined with uOttawa’s Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championship in the Wilson Cup, the 2022-23 season is one of the most successful seasons for the Gee-Gees in recent memory.

And while the ultimate goal of winning a national championship still eludes Derouin and the Gee-Gees, it’s impossible to ignore the accomplishments of this year.

“We’re always sort of knocking on the door of either being in the top 10 or being at nationals or qualifying for the wildcard,” Derouin said. “[It’s] just a huge success … I couldn’t be more proud of them and absolutely thrilled with this season.”

The Gee-Gees came close to the gold medal game, losing by six points to the Ravens in a tense semifinal clash Saturday. But after the stinging defeat to a crosstown rival, uOttawa rallied for Sunday.

They battled closely with the top-seeded Vikes in the first and second quarter. Canada West Player of the Year Diego Maffia hit a three-pointer two and a half minutes into the third frame to give the Vikes a 40-39 lead, but it was the last time they led.

The Gee-Gees put up 13 straight points immediately after. They led by as much as 28 in the fourth quarter.

Guard Kevin Otoo, who led uOttawa with 20 points, is confident the Gee-Gees will be back at nationals next year.

“You’re gonna see us again and we’re not gonna be in third place,” he said. “We’re gonna be in first place.”

The win is a perfect send off for Pépin. While he has one year of eligibility left, he is now faced with the decision of going pro.

“He’s had a phenomenal career here,” Derouin said. “He’s gonna go off and play professional basketball next year and represent us in Europe and all over the world … He’s the best. We’re gonna miss him a lot.”

Derouin, who is also head coach of the Ottawa BlackJacks of the Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL), coached Pépin when he played on a developmental contract there in 2022. Could Pépin find a home with the BlackJacks again this summer?

Derouin shrugged. “I know the coach,” he smiled.

Citadins take consolation final over Queen’s

The UQAM Citadins entered nationals hoping to prove the rest of U Sports wrong. On Sunday, they accomplished that.

They defeated the Queen’s Gaels 89-85 in the consolation final, finishing fifth and taking two wins against some of the top competition in the country.

“We showed that we belong with the top teams in the country,” UQAM head coach Mario Joseph said.

The Citadins trailed early, letting the Gaels jump out to a 10-2 lead. But UQAM bounced back, tying the game 21-21 on a last-second three-pointer from Elie Karojo to end the first quarter.

UQAM began to outpace the Gaels as the second quarter developed. They took a 47-38 by the half and stayed ahead in the final two frames.

The pair of wins at nationals means a lot to the program.

“If your team is able to come in here year in and year out, [players] want to be a part of your program,” Joseph said, pointing to Carleton’s model of easily recruiting top talent. “We’re trying to be our own but through the same path, like every year we’re coming here.”

The loss for Queen’s also has greater importance. It’s a lesson learned for head coach Stephan Barrie, who will take time after returning from nationals to reflect on this season.

“When you get to kind of look back and … try and figure out your team and the puzzle and how that fits together, that’s one of the most rewarding times from a basketball standpoint that a coach can have,” Barrie said.

The Gaels are already benefiting from a recruiting boost after making the trip to nationals the past two seasons, Barrie said.

Queen’s will play UQAM again when it hosts an exhibition tournament before the 2023-24 season. But before that, the Gaels will look to improve.

“I kind of thrive off of, okay, we have stuff to go work on,” Barrie said. “That’s an exciting process to start for a summer of training.”

Featured image by L. Manuel Baechlin.