This year’s frosh week at Carleton will host some of the classic favourites such as Ravenspalooza, canal games, beach day, and a slew of other activities.

The one big difference is this will be the   second year university administration has played an active role in the planning of the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) and the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) frosh week.

There were two major reasons for the partnership with administration, says Jeremy Brzozowski, student development and first-year experience coordinator.

“Our objectives were to look at risk management . . . and to fully support the student transition process through orientation week,” Brzozowski says.

Brzozowski says one of the more dramatic changes he has seen is the record numbers in early registration for fall orientation.

“We are looking at about 2000 incoming students registered for the week already,” Brzozowski says.

Mike Hons, a fall orientation student coordinator, says there is also a record number of volunteers this year because of the early start on applications.

“Last year was a transition year with the inclusion of administration having a lot of resistance at the beginning,” Hons says. “This year we were able to all start on the same page allowing a very healthy relationship between all parties.”

Sarah Nichols, another coordinator, says the new partnership has been able to give frosh week more perspectives and aided in the addition of new programming and events.

“It has been good, pretty smooth and after a lot of give and take it has been a real positive experience,” Nichols says.

But not all the changes seen in last year’s frosh week were appreciated by student volunteers.

“The week was still great, especially for the frosh, it just felt as though a close eye was being kept on the volunteers, maybe a little closer than we deserved,” says Courtney Constable, a Carleton master’s student and frosh week veteran.

“Initially, when I was under the impression that CUSA/RRRA frosh week was being abolished, I was absolutely disgusted,” Constable says.

Students rallied and lined up outside Carleton president Roseann Runte’s office to provide letters and words of concern over the issue.

Administration made some changes to the week that included no frosh video and changing the names of old crows to ravens and ass-heads to vice-heads.

“I think that the administration should loosen [their] hold on frosh week because the students are the ones who break our backs running it for the incoming students to our school,” says Jesse Joyce, a third-year Carleton student and vice-head of the Super Soakers for this year’s frosh week.

Joyce says he’s disappointed administration is “forcing their way into frosh week” but he does see the benefits of their programs such as Academic Orientation Day.

“I feel that administration does deserve to have its influence on frosh week because at the end of the day it is their school,” Joyce says.

Brendan Connor, the head for the Teddy Bears frosh group this year says if frosh volunteers keep focused on making sure students are having fun and feeling welcome, they will ultimately feel confident about their decision to come to Carleton.

“Change doesn’t mean it won’t be fun.”