Long-time Liberal MP and former chancellor of Carleton, Herb Gray, passed away in an Ottawa hospital April 21 at the age of 82, according to a university press release.

Gray served as Carleton’s 10th chancellor from November 2008 before stepping down in 2011. At the time of his appointment, he was the longest-serving MP in Canadian history, the release said.

“Herb Gray served Canada and Carleton University with distinction,” Carleton president Roseann Runte said in the release.

“He dedicated his precious time to Carleton University, presiding over many convocations, guiding us through meetings with complex issues, listening to students, caring about the university community and making us all feel part of his family. He will be greatly missed.”

Gray’s many political postings included serving as a cabinet minister under three prime ministers and leader of the official opposition. He was the first Jewish federal cabinet minister in Canadian history.

Adrienne Clarkson, then Governor General, awarded Gray the title of “Right Honourable” in 2002.

In a statement, the Liberal Party said he was “guided by principles of social justice, good governance, sound democratic processes and programs that create opportunities for all.”

The flag at Carleton was lowered April 22, and will be again on the day of the funeral service. That date, however, has yet to be announced.