[Photo from file]

Inflation rose 6.3 per cent in December. Rising prices of necessities including groceries and rent makes now an important time to save money whenever possible. Here are a few tricks to help you save a few extra dollars where you can.

1. Use student discounts

Student discounts exist everywhere. Chances are, some of the services you’re currently using and the places you regularly shop have them. Double-check and see if you can redeem a student discount. Make sure you carry your student ID!

Spotify offers a student discount that offers one month free and drops the subscription price from $11.99 per month to $4.99. Apple Music also offers student discounts.

In addition, your Wi-Fi carrier likely has a student rate that will lower your bill by at least $30 per month.

Most grocers offer perks to students for example, Food Basics has a 10 per cent off student discount on Tuesdays. 

1. Buy used textbooks 

Why buy new textbooks when you can buy used ones for half the price? Students can purchase used textbooks from the Carleton Bookstore, Haven or Facebook Marketplace. Buying second-hand is always a cheaper option when it comes to textbooks. 

If you can buy used textbooks, you can also sell your old ones–I suggest Facebook Marketplace. Get some money back on those old books from last semester and use those funds to buy your required readings for the next semester. 

1. Grocery shop after 6 p.m.

Cut your grocery bill in half by shopping after 6 p.m., when many grocery stores mark down items that will expire in the next few days.

You can pick up the fresh pre-made items they make in the morning, like the roasted chicken or fries that didn’t sell, for half the price that night. 

You can also freeze fruits, vegetables and meats you find on the clearance shelves if you want to eat them later. 

1. Use points apps when ordering food, especially if you’re a regular.

Do you eat takeout often? Do your 8 a.m. classes have you ordering coffee every morning? Make your guilty pleasures a little more affordable by downloading the points app for your go-to takeout or coffee place like Tim Hortons or McDonald’s. The points you earn from your purchases can give you discounts, free drinks or even free meals. 

1. Get a fee-free bank account.

Probably the easiest way to save money on this list is by registering for a free bank account. While some banks offer free banking to everyone, most offer student banking plans that include a checking account with unlimited transactions, no monthly banking fees and no minimum balance requirement. 

Financially surviving as a student

The cost of living has risen, but that doesn’t mean your quality of life must decrease. Students are uniquely positioned to save money with discounts and smart shopping.

[Photo from file]