Carleton University launched a revamped version of its CU Mobile app, Carleton Mobile, on Jan. 5 to allow for greater personalization and accessibility.

According to a statement issued by the university, the app was introduced in 2011 and has evolved over the years.

The new Carleton Mobile app will continue to be renewed in phases, according the university.

Some of the changes made during the first phase include design updates, access to a news and events feed, course and exam schedules, a student service search query and emergency notifications.

“The first phase focused on re-developing the platform as a single hub for current students to stay connected,” the statement reads. “At the same time, user experience is improved, both by personalization and an increase in accessibility.”

Several Carleton students reported that the new Carleton Mobile app is much more efficient and visually appealing than its 2011 predecessor.

“[The new app] shows my schedules in an efficient manner,” said Justine Castillo, a first-year journalism student. “It’s much cleaner than the old one … it filters everything out better than the old app.”

Pierre Atindehou, a first-year civil engineering student, also said the app’s new interface had improved.

“[The upgraded app] makes it smoother and easier,” he said. “If there’s any news around campus, it’s right there as soon as I open the app.”

The app is slated to introduce more changes in 2023 and is expected to kick off access to viewing student accounts and grades in the winter 2023 term. The university is encouraging students to provide feedback or submit feature requests through the Carleton Mobile Website, which will be subject to review by the app development team.

The Carleton Mobile app is currently available for download on both the Apple App store and Google Play

Featured image by Arno Ryser.