File photo.

Directed by Dean DeBlois

Distributed by 20th Century Fox

How To Train Your Dragon 2 evoked both tears and laughter with a strong message about being true to who you are. Reprising their roles form the original film Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, and new comer Cate Blanchett gave strong performances.

Hiccup, the protagonist, is coming of age and learning how to be a man, a leader, a partner, and a son. The different levels to the plot make it enjoyable for all ages not just children.

The strongest asset to the movie is its music. Returning composer John Powell received an Oscar nomination for the first movie and again gives an impeccable score.

This soundtrack’s pacing is faster and more upbeat than the original. Throughout the score, however, we still hear the underlying theme from the original.

The animation Dreamworks provides is superb. The characters have all aged five years, which is reflected in the animation as the adult versions require slightly more detail than the kids.

Stoic the Viking chief’s animation changes are simple and effective, making it clear thought was put into executing the characters and their changes. The animation of the dragons is also genius. The fire they breathe and the variations of dragons we are shown are all impeccable.

The only downfall in the movie is its humour. Undoubtedly, the movie is funny, but at times they carried on jokes for too long to the point where they became awkward. Otherwise the film is well-timed, a fitting length, and relatable dialogue.

The movie as a whole is fantastic—a wonderful message with relatable and strong characters for everybody to enjoy.