Asinabka, a festival celebrating indigenous artists, held its third annual opening night film screening at Ottawa’s Victoria Island on July 23. The exhibition openings are for Noongwa (Now/Today) at Gallery 101 and Maanpii (Here) at Platform Gallery on July 24.

During the opening, festival-goers waited in anticipation as the sun slowly faded out into the blackened screen playing Jeff Barnaby’s feature-length film Rhymes for Young Ghouls.

Rhymes for Young Ghouls tells the story of a strong-willed indigenous girl named Aila who defends herself and “her crew” from a white racist residential school.

Festival director Howard Adler said he stands by the decision to screen this film even though it has already been released on DVD.

“It’s one of the best films I’ve seen in years and I just wanted to screen it,” he said.

The exhibitions Noongwa (Now/Today) at Gallery 101 and Maanpii (Here) at Platform Gallery feature artworks from indigenous artists who actively engage in the contemplation of indigenous issues. Although not all are activists, featured artists often take on a political tone due to the seriousness with which they view their subject matter.

Fiya Bruxa, one of the artists featured in Gallery 101’s Noongwa (Now/Today) through two series, “Kemé” and “Ñuke Mapu,” said she doesn’t call herself an activist.

“I do speak out about certain issues that I kind of can’t not speak out about. I think for me it feels like a responsibility. Art is used as a tool for change in community and empowerment and that’s the kind of community work I do over the last few years,” Bruxa said.

Bruxa described her works as having a personal element.

“Kemé is within the Mayan Calendar and is the sign that is death so it represents resurrection, the rebirth. These three paintings tell the story of rebirth and I think when you live through things that affect you in a very profound way, you can either remain stuck or caught in that moment in time or you can be reborn and learn and move forward through that,” she said.

Erin Marie Konsmo self-identifies as an activist through her work, “Porcupines Against Pipelines.” It confronts the viewer with its bold red and black contrasting colours and rough geometric shapes forming the outline of a porcupine torching what appears to be a pipeline.

“I think an important issue that often isn’t addressed is how pipelines are affecting people’s bodies as well, so the sexual violence around pipelines where the workers come into indigenous communities and other body-related issues,” Konsmo said.

According to master-of-ceremonies for the opening night, Mista Wassis, the festival is an emerging leader in the indigenous arts community.

Wassis applauded the work of festival organizers Howard Adler and Christopher Wong. The festival has grown so much over the last three years Wassis said.