Photos by Kyle Fazackerley.

Another 10 days of Bluesfest have come and gone in the nation’s capital, leaving many counting down the days until its return next July. Regardless of what familiar faces were headlining each night, a lot of the festival’s incredible moments were found on the smaller stages—making the 20th anniversary a special one.

A strength of the festival’s lineup lay in the roster of rising rap stars that organizers were able to secure for the occasion—many of whom have never made an appearance in the city before. Names such as Danny Brown, Tyler, the Creator, and Childish Gambino all drew some of the festival’s largest crowds.

In what was initially a surprise move, the festival included Yung Lean, a rising Swedish Internet rap sensation with an affinity for bucket hats, video games, and Arizona iced tea. It was his first performance in Canada, let alone Ottawa, and he was incredibly successful in transforming his oft lackadaisical rhymes into aggressive, commanding material.

aBluesFest3_KyleFazackerley_Slash6_(WEB)

Making his return to the capital, Action Bronson made sure he wouldn’t be forgotten anytime soon—hijacking a golf cart for a quick tour around the festival grounds during his set before rapping inside a port-a-potty and tearing the shirt off his own body.

Having made past comments on how he feels Ottawa is a “classic rock town,” festival director Mark Monahan made good on his word. With the announcements of greying arena rock greats Styx, Journey, and Foreigner, you could swear organizers were set on bringing the ‘80s back.

But the real show-stopping rock performance belonged to Queens of the Stone Age, who delivered a roaring set of favourites to an impressive crowd. Despite the downpour that thankfully ended minutes before their set, the energy was never lost—crucial in what was the most captivating rock music set of the entire 10 days.

If you were lucky enough to head down early to the festival on most days, you would have certainly caught some of Ottawa’s own talent up on the stages. An eclectic mix of products from the city’s own music scene was present—from the infectious electronics of Silkken Laumann to the sweet, vintage rock ‘n’ soul of The Split.

aBluesFest3_KyleFazackerley_Gambino2_(WEB)

A nine-piece hip-hop crew by the name of BlakDenim put on an impressive display of musicianship in the heat one afternoon, coupling precise rhymes with soulful vocals and a band featuring everything from a turntablist to a tuba player.

Toronto jazz trio BADBADNOTGOOD’s festival appearance turned out to be a special one for their bass guitar player Chester Hansen. An Ottawa native, Hansen’s ties to Bluesfest came full circle—performing at the festival he once volunteered at regularly.

A strong commitment to local musical roots of all kinds proved to be positive for those looking to dig a little deeper into their own backyard.