Graphic by Katie Wong.

The International Space University’s Space Studies Program will host 123 students this summer.

The International Space University (ISU) launched its 27th annual intensive summer program June 9 in Montréal, co-hosted by École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS), an engineering school and HEC Montréal, a business school.

The first half of the intensive nine-week program is comprised of various lectures from experts worldwide such as NASA explorers and top-notch professors.

With students ranging from aerospace engineers to doctors and space lawyers, Toni Bramley, the media relations co-ordinator of the program, said the difficult part is making lectures intriguing for everyone.

“They have to make sure it’s very current and up-to-date and not lose the people who are in this background but make sure they don’t lose others who have no knowledge on the subject,” she said.

Participants are required to have an undergraduate degree, be between the ages of 21-55 and have a “validated interest in space,” Bramley explained.

They must also have $20,000 to pay for the program, although Bramley said there are many scholarships available.

With no location restrictions and participants from 29 different countries, Bramley said students face barriers other than a hefty price tag.

“Language is an obvious obstacle, but what people don’t always think of is that people work very differently in different cultures,” she said, adding that students often discover this in the second half of the program, which is based on group projects.

This is the intercultural aspect of the program, one of the three main focuses,  along with interdisciplinary  and international, Bramley said.

“We also hope that the space sector in Québec will take this opportunity to demonstrate its vast space experience to the participants and experts from all over the world associated with this program.”

Benjamin Kraetzig is a program participant from Germany, with an aerospace engineering background. 

He said he has been “very impressed” with the lecture speakers so far and is looking forward to connecting more with others. He began the program not knowing anyone but said that quickly changed.

“International space itself is a very small community. Everyone knows everyone. It’s a really close group, interconnected throughout the world, and that’s reflected in this program,” he said.

Kraetzig emphasized the importance of exchanging experience and knowledge with space experts from other generations, something he has been able to do in this program.

“It’s so important to keep exploring and to spread knowledge about what we gain from space activities,” he said.

Surrounded by people from around the world with a common love of space, Kraetzig said it’s an “exceptional setting” to learn.

“I don’t know how you could ever re-create this,” he said.