Photos submitted to the panel had to include this year's theme of "Harmony and Discord." (Photo by: Lewis Novack)

Some photos were taken locally, others were taken as far away as Costa Rica, but they all emphasized the “Harmony and Discord” theme of Carleton’s first environment science program photo competition, March 13.

The competition, hosted by the Environmental Science Student Association (ESSA), is the brainchild of Bryan Burns, the director of the Institute of Environmental Science.

“Some of our students do research in different parts of the world and so there’s pictures from Costa Rica, there’s local [pictures],” Burns said. “We need good science right now and this is really raising the awareness.”

Burns said he got the idea in the fall and wanted environmental science students to take photos that would raise important issues applicable to all students in the department.

The competition was unique because “photography isn’t something science students normally get to do,” said ESSA member Chelsea Kealey.

“I find photography is really closely integrated with environmental science, so it was a really good way of visually depicting why environmental science is important,” she said, adding she was happy so many people took part, especially with this year’s theme.

“[Harmony and Discord] kind of has everything to do with what we study because the great thing about natural systems and looking at the environment is that there’s so much harmony, systems just work so well together, and yet, there’s this discord where often humans come in and something changes,” Kealey said.

A panel of judges chose the winner and four honourable mentions. The panel consisted of city councillor David Chernushenko, Marisa Romano, ecologist Bettina Henkelman, John O’Quinn, John Morris and Lindsey Manning.

The overall winner, fourth-year environmental science student Eric Crawford, took his photo with his cellphone just along the Rideau Canal. It was an old bicycle underneath the Heron Bridge. Crawford titled it “Recycle Cycles.”

Crawford said he thought the competition and theme was really good for the program.

“A lot of people don’t realize what they do and the consequences of their actions,” he said.

Burns said one of the photos on display will be chosen for the poster for next year’s theme, which will be “water.” He said he hopes the contest will help people be more aware about the serious impact they have on the environment.

“These images are not just images, there’s a reflection, an environmental impact.”