[Graphic by Angel Xing]

Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) councillor byelections begin Oct. 17 with 12 seats to fill. In a hotly contested race, there are eight students running for one vacant councillor position for the faculty of public affairs (FPA). 

Eligible students will receive an emailed ballot and may place their votes until end of day Oct. 19.

The Charlatan asked each candidate to send a brief written profile. Profiles have been edited for length and clarity and are listed in order of receipt.

Ethan Ormonde

[Photo provided by Ethan Ormande]
My name is Ethan Ormonde and I’m a third-year communication and media studies student. 

Some of my interests include going for walks with my friends, studying up on all the new pop culture trends and learning more about new topics in my degree.

In terms of experience, I have previously served on council throughout high school. I worked within the Durham Catholic District School Board senate as well, leading to my interest in working alongside council in order to fight for issues affecting students. 

As your councillor, I will actively engage in voting toward motions that will help you. I will work towards ensuring inclusion is active and practised on campus. Furthermore, I will ensure that students’ educational needs are met, helping in any way that I can through not only my vote, but also my arguments. I hope to also hear from my fellow FPA students in order to ensure their needs are met as well.

Allan Buri

My name is Allan Buri and I’m a first-year public affairs and policy management (PAPM) student.

When I’m not reading books on history and politics, you can find me playing basketball, soccer or piano. I’m in debate and Model UN societies as well.

I have extensive experience in multiple levels of student government and advocacy from high school that have translated into similar opportunities at Carleton.

I have served for four years on student council, two years as a board student senator and two years as the board’s student rep on the parent council. I am the PAPM representative on the Carleton Academic Student Government (CASG) and the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) councillor for Renfrew House.

I would bring a well-rounded set of knowledge and experience to CUSA as a result of my involvement with two other important Carleton student governments. Oftentimes, student issues intersect in these areas, and I would be well positioned to connect ideas to their appropriate solution venue, be it CUSA, CASG, RRRA or a combination of the three.

Keana Cavero 

Keana Cavero is running for CUSA in 2022. [Photo provided by Keana Cavero]
My name is Keana Cavero. I’m a third-year law student with a concentration in government and policy.

I grew up in Brampton, Ont., but my family is from Peru and El Salvador. I have a million interests, from sports like surfing and soccer, to politics, to getting lost in seas of random Wikipedia articles.

I have a strong history of representing students and advocating for their concerns with CASG, the Carleton Humanitarian Organization of Latin-American Students (HOLAS) and as a residence fellow. Working at the House of Commons also familiarized me with many rules and procedures.  

My past experience both in leadership roles and working within groups will come in handy as a CUSA councillor.

A vote for me is a vote for your chance to let your voice shine. As councillor, I’ll create programs that support career development and increased scholarship funding. I will also continue programs such as Hatch to provide students with entrepreneurial opportunities.  

I’ll use social media to educate students about what they’re entitled to, as many people aren’t aware of all the opportunities and free services offered by CUSA and other entities. 

The pandemic has disproportionately affected marginalized groups, so I would work directly with said groups to ensure equal services and supports are provided to all. 

I want to use my voice to advocate as loudly as I can for us students and hold the university accountable for its actions. We deserve to have the university experience we are paying for.

Kennedy Elson

[Photo provided by Kennedy Elson]
My name is Kennedy Elson and I’m a first-year political science student.

I’ve loved politics since I was young, and I volunteered in my first political campaign when I was around eight years old. I spend a lot of my time reading and looking at international policies. I’m also interested in STEM, urbanism and solutions to ensure the rights of the LGBTQ+ community and other minority groups.

I have relevant leadership experience. I’ve been a front-end supervisor at No Frills for more than two years, making me responsible for the well-being of staff, customers and the money in the safe. I was also the captain of my high school’s soccer team and the coach of various youth sports teams. 

I know how to delegate and prioritize issues, as well as solve problems in stressful situations. My experience in positions of leadership has prepared me for this role, and I’m well suited to help solve the problems that students face. 

I have a vested interest in ensuring that all action taken by CUSA is in the best interest of the students. I’m in favour of legislation to grant more power to the CUSA council over the executives to ensure the voices of the students are heard and that all members of student government here at Carleton are accountable to the student body at large. 

I’d like to create a transit committee at CUSA to hear about and solve issues regarding how students get to campus. I would also advocate for more green space on campus, especially around the construction areas. 

Veronica Dhindsa

[Photo provided by Veronica Dhindsa]
My name is Veronica Dhindsa and I’m a fourth-year criminology and criminal justice student with a concentration in law and a minor in human rights and social justice.

I am a first-generation student who grew up in a multicultural home. I’m extremely passionate about issues regarding criminal justice reform, wrongful convictions and prisoners’ rights.

I have been in many leadership positions in a variety of organizations on campus. Previously, I have served as the president of the Carleton University Human Rights Society, co-founder of Innocence Carleton and the criminology representative for CASG. 

I work for a political organization where I learn about policy making and advocacy. I understand the hurdles of navigating school, work and life. I want to be able to support and advocate for students’ needs and ensure their voices are being heard. 

If elected, I plan to integrate FPA councillor office hours (a safe space to address personal concerns), town halls, a student network and a club network, which will foster social connections within the faculty.

Sarah Muscolino 

My name is Sarah Muscolino and I’m in my third year of criminology and criminal justice with a concentration in law and minor in forensic psychology.

On a day-to-day basis, you can find me on campus either in class or in the library, where I help students. In my spare time, I enjoy going to the gym and meeting new people. I also have a passion for the law and plan to become a lawyer. 

Currently, I am the president of the Carleton Law Society, where I ensure students are getting the support they need to transition into law school. I’m also the current director of education of the Criminology and Criminal Justice Society (CCJS), where I advocate for and help students with their academic needs.

I also promote student engagement. I am on the CASG council as a department representative, where I represent and advocate for students within criminology and criminal justice and ensure equity across the FPA. In the past, I’ve served as a RRRA councillor, where I advocated for the needs of students in residence. 

If elected, I intend to ensure CUSA’s new democratic reforms are upheld, advocate for more programs surrounding mental health and hold the whole association accountable to ensure the utmost transparency to Carleton students. I will work toward closer collaboration with CUSA clubs and academic societies as well as improve the funding process for clubs.

Tasnim Al Khdairi

Tasnim Al Khdairi did not provide their profile in time for publication.

Michael Huynh

Michael Huynh did not provide their profile in time for publication.

Featured graphic by Angel Xing.