Although Palestinian and Israeli relations are complex, it is important to hold open, empathetic conversations to unpack and attempt to solve the associated humanitarian issues at hand. We cannot abdicate our responsibility to discuss them with the excuse of ‘it’s complicated.’ 

With a long history dating back to the end of the First World War, Israeli occupation of Palestine has created social division. The current violations of Palestinians’ rights in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories are products of nuanced generational disputes. The ongoing violence of Israeli and Palestinian land disputes have been at the forefront of media attention for the past week, culminating in a ceasefire announced for Gaza yesterday.

International and local protests are calling for an end to the Israeli occupation of Palestine amid the recent violence between Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and the Palestinian radical group Hamas, which has claimed the lives of more than an estimated 200 people. The majority of those killed were Palestinians.

It can be daunting to unpack or engage in dialogue about the ongoing violence since the historical context is often not discussed in relation to current events. We fear what we do not know, but being afraid because we do not understand the situation does not mean we can simply avoid learning about it.

Misinformation and conscious disinformation due to the complexity of this history cannot be overlooked. We cannot avoid discussing humanitarian issues and international relations where conversations have real and concrete impacts on individuals around the world—such as antisemitic hate crimes by those who conflate the Israeli government with Judaism. 

Change is made through knowledge of the issues that deeply affect us; regardless of the amount of work discussing them requires, it is worthwhile and must be done.

We learn and progress by discussing these issues. If we avoid them out of fear of complexity, people will continue to suffer in silence.

Featured graphic from file.