Summer on campus: a lunch line with nobody in it, a choice of desk at the library, and always that dull hum of construction to fill the void—a byproduct of the majority of students having vacated the premises.

What a shame then, in the absence of so many voices, that a motion as contentious as lifting the ban on Canadian Blood Services be brought to Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) council.

The ban on CBS started in 2003 on the grounds that the organization’s policy to prevent men who have sex with men from donating blood was homophobic and gender-exclusive.

A motion to lift the ban failed last summer with 11 councillors in favour and 13 against. Council minutes show debate on that motion was extended four times by 20 minutes. Now, that motion has been passed. The discussion lasted 15 minutes.

It may be that the composition of CUSA council has changed, but it cannot be ignored that three councillors who voted in opposition to the motion were absent. Two of those councillors’ proxies noted they would be voting against the motion, as instructed by their councillors, before telling council that they personally supported the motion.

The third proxy read from a prepared statement, meaning there was no discussion from opposing views. Students-at-large are allowed to contribute during certain points of a council meeting. There were four at this meeting—three of them Charlatan staff.

This motion may have passed regardless of the time of year. But without the number of councillors and watchers these meetings get during the school year, can it really be representative of Carleton students?