After studying virtually for so long during the COVID-19 pandemic, the feeling of being in a slump is ricocheting throughout the student body. The routine of watching long online lectures, answering predictable multiple choice questions or writing virtual exams is not an effective way of reigniting the passion for learning students lost throughout the pandemic.

Implementing unconventional teaching methods could make learning fun again. Universities, Carleton included, should work to revamp outdated courses to help students better absorb the material. This can be accomplished in a multitude of ways, including video games, which some experts have recently recommended.

Finding new and interesting ways to teach is just as important at the university level as it is in elementary and high schools. Although students choose a speciality to pursue in their post-secondary education, the amount of passion they have for learning can vary per class. This is especially true for required courses.

It should be one of the primary concerns of an educator to best support students and ensure they are learning to the best of their abilities. Engaging teaching strategies that could help students feel more passionate about learning include implementing technology such as video games or creating activity-based learning experiences.

Universities and educators should also try to foster equitable learning environments by listening to students’ interests and needs. Ensuring students are engaged and inspired is important for learning and the student experience.

At the end of the day, learning should be an enjoyable experience and ensuring course delivery is interesting is a great way of creating such experiences.

Featured graphic: from file