Post-secondary tuition is expensive, and students are often on the hook for most or all of it. A Statistics Canada report has revealed post-secondary schools across Canada have increased tuition by an average of 3.1 per cent for this school year. While it’s debatable how much students should be paying for their education or how much outside financial support is feasible, there should be no debate when it comes to helping students understand what this extra money is getting them.

Under the current financial system, these hikes seem inevitable. But as tuition fees continues to rise, students are left behind when it comes to knowing what they are paying for. Universities and colleges should take more responsibility in educating students about why tuition needs to increase and how these additional fees will contribute to the quality of their education. Simply stating that operating costs are rising and tuition must rise too is not sufficient.

For example, schools could provide students with an easy-to-understand breakdown of their operating budget, noting areas where the additional funds will be going and explaining why. This in turn would help students to understand how their institutions work and how their hard-earned money factors into its daily operations.

If students are on the hook for thousands in tuition each year, their institutions should be on the hook to remain accountable to those who fund them.