The University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) passed a resolution on Oct. 27 rejecting Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s university free speech policy.

The provincial mandate, announced Aug. 30, mandates post-secondary institutions to develop campus free speech policies which defend controversial and potentially offensive speech on university campuses, by January 1.

Ontario universities face losing provincial funding if they do not comply with the mandate.

Rejecting the provincial free speech mandate is a bold move, but should be followed by more action by the students’ union to reinforce the importance of protecting free speech on campus, while also advocating for students who may be targeted by controversial speakers on campus.

The U of T’s Statement on Freedom of Speech states that although members of the university should not use speech to demean others on the basis of their race, ethnic origin, creed, sex, sexual orientation, etc., “the values of mutual respect and civility may, on occasion, be superseded by the need to protect lawful freedom of speech.”

The U of T students’ union should campaign to raise awareness on their campus of the importance of protecting free speech, while also promoting respect during the discussion of controversial issues. It is important that universities are forums for discourse that is as open as possible. It is also important that students feel safe on their campus.

As a next move, the U of T students’ union should advocate for balance between the two, rather than leaving the resolution as a final rejection of free speech policies on campus.