The Charlatan is changing. Last academic year, the newspaper officially transitioned from regular print issues to an online-first digital publication. As the Charlatan evolves logistically, it must also elevate its brand identity.

Tasked with the project of creating a new logo and branding scheme to reflect the publication’s digital trajectory, the Charlatan’s graphics editor Sara Mizannojehdehi rose to the occasion. Now complete, the Charlatan is proud to unveil her work publicly today.

The new logo marries traditional Charlatan values of inclusivity, accessibility and accountability with the contemporary nature of digitality. Both playful and straightforward, the rebrand sets the tone for the newspaper.

The Charlatan’s iconic colours of yellow and black stay true to the publication’s roots, but the yellow now takes a bolder and brighter shade—asserting the Charlatan’s strong independent voice.

Honouring the newspaper’s history of sleuthing to find hidden stories, the logo also includes an icon of a Charlatan reporter. This addition symbolizes the publication’s dedication to investigating behind the scenes and pushing journalistic boundaries.

The shift to digital publishing signaled a redirection for the future of the Charlatan. With this rebrand, the Charlatan plans to celebrate a new era of quality journalism while preserving the principles it has cultivated since 1945.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.