In the midst of the incredible upheaval in the global community right now, small businesses are struggling to continue. With most people staying home, the economic impact on local businesses is unavoidable.

But, despite being stuck at home, it is still possible for people to support the small business owners in their community in small ways. 

Many community-owned restaurants are holding on by transitioning to delivery and pick-up only methods. Other businesses are devising creative ways to stay open, without requiring physical contact between customers and employees. 

Some small businesses will not be able to survive the economic upheaval caused by the pandemic. This type of loss can be financially and emotionally devastating for the owners of small businesses. 

The presence of small businesseswhether we notice this during normal times or notis what gives our communities personality and colour. This is why it is important to continue to give them your business from a distance, as their existence is hanging by a thread. 

Whether it be through purchasing gift cards to use later, pre-purchasing products, sharing their pages to our social media, or by simply sending the business owner a supportive messagea little goes a long way. 

File photo.