Many students are unaware of the wide variety of support services Carleton University offers to its students. First-year students especially face many challenges transitioning to university, and the last thing they need to worry about is struggling alone, unsure of where to go for help.

It’s great that Carleton has options like the Paul Menton Centre and Health and Counselling Services, but students don’t always know which service will meet their needs or where they are located on campus. Carleton should increase its efforts, especially during frosh week, to make all students more aware of their services, how to access them, and what needs they serve.

The Carleton website should offer a more accessible approach to connecting students to the services they need. More students could benefit from the services offered if they were able to learn about them and make appointments online.

There should also be better communication between these services when students are referred. If students access the incorrect service for help, they should not feel lost just trying to find the appropriate assistance.

Being aware of the services offered to students is essential for all students, regardless of their age. First-years aren’t the only students who seek help overcoming challenges, yet even after they’ve been on campus for multiple years, too many students remain in the dark about who can help them.
Students should take an active role in seeking the services that are offered to them, but the university should make those services as accessible as possible.