As the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 2424 enter their second week on strike, many students and staff are experiencing long delays on Colonel By Drive and Bronson Avenue while driving to campus. It also left students who rely on the bus having to walk to their classes from the entrance on Bronson Avenue, as OC Transpo won’t cross the picket line in solidarity with the union.

This has become an issue for some students with mobility issues, such as students with conditions who don’t qualify for Para Transpo. Para Transpo is allowed to cross the picket line, but even students who use this service are having to contend with traffic as well. 

Accessibility during the winter is already an ongoing issue for some students, and a blocked sidewalk and roadway by picketers contributes to this problem.

Additionally, most counselling services under the university are greatly limited during the strike, which is a student safety risk for those who urgently need support. Accommodations should also be made by professors for these students as well, as the strain on limited counselling services may be preventing these students from getting the support they need.

While it’s entirely within CUPE 2424’s right to strike, provisions need to be put in place to ensure that students’ access to vital services, such as counselling and a comfortable trip to campus, are not negatively affected by circumstances outside of their control.