The Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team, having won nine national championships in the last 11 years, has clearly established a stretch of dominance putting them above and beyond their nearest Canadian competition.

As a result, testing themselves against more talented schools south of the border is a great idea.

In this year’s swing against Division I National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) teams, Carleton went 3-1, recording wins against Towson University, Texas Christian University, and even the high-profile University of Wisconsin. In fact, their only loss came in overtime to Syracuse University, one of the most prominent American collegiate basketball programs.

Even though Carleton has proven they are able to compete against elite NCAA basketball teams, the Ravens would not be able to join the NCAA Division I ranks.

The NCAA has passed legislation allowing for international members to join, but this ruling has only been passed at the Division II level.

It is not worth the trouble for Carleton to try to join the NCAA just to play at a Division II level, since the Ravens men’s basketball team is proving they are already capable of competing at the much higher Division I level.

Pre-season exhibition games are a great way to compete against elite American basketball programs, and provide the Ravens a chance to prepare for the upcoming Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) season while also boosting revenue for Carleton from the many fans eager to see a Canadian school competing against an American one.

Carleton should continue to organize these American exhibition games, and will be able to help grow basketball in Canada by playing against—and beating—elite NCAA schools.