Students are looking for food options that mirror an increased awareness and desire for sustainable, local foods.

When Ryerson University switched food suppliers on campus, the university worked with a company that focussed on bringing students local, sustainable food at a low price.

Although Carleton’s contract with Aramark is ongoing, the university needs to put more pressure on the company to provide better options to students with local food providers.

Food trucks are a growing trend in Ottawa and could be a great way to fill the void of locally owned and produced food on campus, without taking up too much space.

Carleton’s isolated location means it isn’t usually feasible for students to go off campus to eat when they have class all day or are facing exams.

The move to allow more local vendors on site would have numerous benefits. This would see an increase in choice and quality, more creative and healthier options, and increased sustainability by focusing on establishments that offer local products.

It’s possible that this could hurt student-owned businesses such as Rooster’s, Mike’s, and Oliver’s but the university could focus on finding vendors who provide products currently unavailable on campus. More options simply mean students are likely to buy more meals on campus.

As Carleton’s main food provider, it is up to Aramark to bring more diverse food vendors to campus, but it’s the responsibility of the university to push for what students want.