The provincial government of Quebec has tabled Bill 21, which would ban public servants in positions of authority—including judges, police officers, and others—from wearing religious symbols.

Quebec Premier François Legault said the bill is “moderate and a reflection of values dear to Quebecers,” according to the Montreal Gazette. But, in fact, there is nothing moderate or reflective of good values about this bill. Putting a ban on Quebecers’ right to religious freedom and expression directly contradicts the values of our Charter.

Bill 21 is a direct attack on people who belong to religious minority groups in Quebec.

Last year, the province passed some provisions of Bill 62, which gave public service bodies the power to accept or deny the request of a woman wearing the niqab, a garment which covers the face of the wearer, to keep her face covered while receiving a government-provided service in public.

Bill 62 has alienated the minority of Muslim women who choose to wear the niqab. Bill 21 is extending that alienation to other religious groups, as well. This act of pushing people to the margins of society breeds the type of hate which led to the devastating results of the Quebec mosque shooting in January 2017.

While the stated intention behind the bill may seem benign to some, forcing public servants to appear secular in an increasingly diverse society does nothing but divide people.

Canadians should look at this bill with a critical eye—and understand the nuances behind it and the ramifications it may have on the safety and well-being of Quebec’s religious communities—before giving it any support.