The Ontario government has introduced new laws for distracted driving—and the penalties are stiff. The new penalties, which apply beginning Jan. 1, include a fine of up to $1,000, three demerit points, and license suspension for three days for a first-time offence. These penalties can deter drivers from distracted driving by digging deep into people’s pockets. If you’re driving and want to change the song you’re listening to, you’re going to reconsider it when you think about paying $1,000.

Distracted driving is defined as using a phone to talk, text, check maps, or choose a playlist while behind the wheel of a vehicle, among other things, according to the Ontario government’s website. In 2016, according to the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), distracted driving caused more fatal collisions than any other factor, and the numbers have doubled since 2000.

Distracted driving continues to be the leading cause of collisions in the province. The new laws also expand the definition of distracted driving as more than just texting and driving, to include entering destinations into the GPS and applying make-up. It’s important to define and expand the definition of the distracted driving because distracted driving has dire consequences, including death.

These new laws and stiffer penalties are much needed and should be welcomed, because they will help decrease the number of distracted drivers on the road and potentially prevent fatal collisions.