While discussions over mental health have emerged into the mainstream, stigma still continues in some areas of society—such as sports. Carleton hockey player Fabian Walsh’s own story of mental health issues sheds some light on this stigma, with athletes generally stereotyped as having to act ‘tougher’ than most people.

When it comes to mental illness, the sports industry perpetuates a culture of “get over it, and keep playing.” But, many mental illnesses can be just as detrimental to a person’s health and safety as a physical injury. Physical injuries themselves can trigger a psychological response or unmask serious mental health issues like depression, anxiety, and even addiction.

What we need to be doing is making a safe space for athletes to find support for the challenges they are facing inside and out—and it starts with unraveling the stigma surrounding mental health in the sports industry. No one should have to suppress a mental illness in fear of being perceived as weak, nor should someone feel pressured to keep playing at the risk of losing their career.

Being an athlete comes with its own pressures and risks, but facing a mental health issue alone isn’t a sacrifice people should have to make. So, let’s talk about mental health in sports, and make sure our country’s athletes have the physical and mental support they need, to be the best that they can be.