While the vaccination of athletes from other schools is out of Carleton’s control, mandating vaccinations for varsity athletes at Carleton is a key step in ensuring the 2021-22 athletic year can be completed safely and successfully. 

At the time of publication, Carleton has mandated COVID-19 vaccines for all students, staff and faculty returning to campus.

Vaccines dramatically reduce the odds of a person contracting COVID-19 or experiencing hospitalization due to infection. The Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines offered in Canada provide 94 per cent efficacy against symptomatic COVID-19 14 or more days after completing the second dose.

In addition to all members of Carleton athletics needing to be fully vaccinated, the university has put other measures in place that show protecting Carleton athletes from severe illness is a top priority for the athletics department.

As it stands now, a Carleton athlete who tests positive will be required to quarantine for 10 days and any close contact will need to quarantine for 14 days. According to Jennifer Brenning, assistant vice-president of recreation and athletics at Carleton, this could mean an entire team and coaching staff would be required to quarantine if someone on a team tests positive.

Carleton is minimizing the risks of a team being shut down mid-season by implementing these COVID-19 protocols. For athletes who might be in their final year of eligibility, every missed game is a missed opportunity to make their mark on university athletics—or prove they can compete at a higher level.

A mid-season shutdown would also cause logistical nightmares for Ontario University Athletics, which would be forced to complete contact tracing across the league and reschedule games.

Lastly, a shutdown would hurt the competitive integrity of a season. Take the example of the 2020 Miami Marlins in last year’s 60-game MLB season. Not even a week into the season, the Marlins had 18 players on their 26-man roster test positive for COVID-19, along with two coaches.

The team was shut down for nine days. When they returned to action, the Marlins fielded 16 new players—seven of whom were previously free agents and eight of whom were just called up from the minor leagues.

Such an outbreak could wreak similar havoc and damage the competitive integrity of Carleton athletics. By mandating the vaccine for varsity athletes, the university is doing everything in its power to ensure the competitive integrity of the 2021-22 season.

Combined with substantial public health benefits, the university should be commended for mandating vaccinations for varsity athletes. It is a decision that protects athletes and those around them in both on-field and off-field capacities.

Featured graphic from file.