Southam Hall’s water main break is the latest chapter in this year’s maintenance failures at Carleton.

A month before the tunnels flooded, a sudden blackout last semester in the Fieldhouse caused an in-exam evacuation. Students moving into campus at the end of the summer were greeted by a Canal Building that was visibly falling apart. That’s just this year, and it’s enough to point to an ongoing problem.

These larger events concern the safety of students.

Beyond that, there are problems with the everyday maintenance of most buildings. Have you ever walked by a piece of litter in the Loeb Building, and then saw it in the same spot the next day, and the day after that? Maybe Carleton students are accustomed to the lack of maintenance in some buildings, but tours coming through the school are certainly not.

Earlier this school year, Darryl Boyce, assistant vice-president of facilities, management and planning, told The Charlatan that some buildings, including Loeb Building, Mackenzie Building, and Steacie Building “are in need of renewal in terms of ventilation systems, electrical systems, information technology systems, fire alarm systems, and roofing systems.”

These systems need to be updated before we see further damage to campus buildings and compromises of student safety. More maintenance staff or more routine checks of every building should be a priority to keep us on par with other university campuses and preemptively address safety concerns.