When Stephen Lecce, MPP for King-Vaughn and Ontario’s education minister, participated in a “slave auction” fundraiser, he contributed to the institutional racism that continues at Ontario universities.

Lecce was president of the Sigma-Chi fraternity at Western University. In 2006, the fraternity held a “slave auction” as part of a philanthropic event, during which Lecce reportedly pretended to be an enslaved person.

From the 14th to 19th century, slave auctions were held as part of the transatlantic slave trade that dehumanized Black people. For this to be taken as a laughing matter, especially as an effort to foster funds for a fraternity, is deeply disturbing. Lecce’s involvement in this racist activity is unacceptable, especially as the minister in charge of Ontarians’ education.

Lecce said his past actions don’t reflect who he is as a person today. However, after 15 years, he only issued what felt like an insincere apology after his wrongdoings were exposed.

Black Canadians are victims of institutional oppression which takes many forms—from racial profiling to academic streaming—and negatively impacts many racialized groups.  Movements such as Black Lives Matter have recently brought longstanding institutional racism into the public eye. 

Lecce’s past actions advance racism in Canadian education and negatively impacts the relationship between the provincial government and Ontario’s Black community because the politician was able to remain in power despite his clear wrongdoings.

It’s unfair to ask Black Canadians for confidence in an education minister who participated in a mockery of Black oppression. The lack of ownership and accountability from Lecce towards his actions is consistent with systemic racism throughout Canadian institutions. His racist actions have further extended the Black community’s mistrust of other provincial institutions, such as Ontario’s healthcare system.

It is common for Canada’s public institutions and politicians to stay silent on racial issues until they’re brought to the public’s attention. In response, apology statements are drafted and released in hopes of reducing backlash without fixing the issue.

An insincere statement does not amend the racism demonstrated by Lecce. The provincial leader should be held accountable for his actions. Everyone in Ontario’s education system deserves to feel safe and represented by the education minister. 

Featured graphic from file