This article contains mention of suicide. If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, contact the Mental Health Crisis Line: 613-722-6914 (within Ottawa) and 1-866-996-0991 (outside Ottawa), the Ottawa Distress Center Crisis Line: 613-238-3311, or the Youth Services Bureau 24/7 Crisis Line: 613-260-2360 or 1-877-377-7775 (toll) 

Canadian media companies must take immediate action to support journalists’ mental health. Those in the Canadian news industry are suffering from disturbingly high levels of work-related stress and injury

According to a recent report published by the Canadian Journalism Forum on Violence and Trauma and Carleton University, one in 10 media workers surveyed has thought about suicide after covering harrowing stories.

The report found media workers are more likely to participate in high-risk alcohol consumption at rates double those of average Canadians, and 80 per cent of journalists have suffered burnout. Additionally, more than half reported having sought medical help to deal with work-related stress. 

Surprisingly, the report also found media workers expressed high rates of job satisfaction. 

Journalists love their jobs and want to continue serving the community, but they require further support from their employers to continue. 

Despite staggering statistics, the well-being of journalists has gone ignored and unaddressed by media companies. Employers must recognize the issue and follow recommendations from journalists and trauma researchers to minimize further damage. This can involve providing protection from harassment and mental healthcare benefits to journalists.

For an industry so crucial to the public’s access to information, more must be done to protect journalists mental health. 

Featured graphic from file.