The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) has been vocal about its September programming. Students have received updates on merchandise, sex toy bingo—and virtually anything other than how it is supporting students during the pandemic.

As of the publication of this editorial, CUSA has not released any public statements on the two positive COVID-19 cases currently on Carleton’s campus, nor have they commented in support of the dozens of students currently self-isolating in residence.

With claims of an approaching second wave of COVID-19 cases and Ottawa testing centres overwhelmed, unions aimed towards representing students’ best interests must demonstrate more concern for these interests. It is in times of crisis when this solidarity means the most.

While the organization has shown initiative in advocating for asynchronous lecture delivery, and creating a merchandise line in order to promote school spirit, more effort must be made to concretely and effectively reach out to those directly impacted by the virus.

The anxiety accompanying isolation and positive COVID-19 test results in any community requires more support than live streams—particularly if those live streams focus solely on superficial preventative measures rather than the stress and well-being of the union’s students. Even if CUSA’s online game nights and tee shirts are meant to serve as a distraction from the reality of the pandemic, its failure to address the severe and potentially life-threatening cases in residence suggests apathy on behalf of the union.

A statement of solidarity with students or even a public campaign on what the organization is doing to alleviate the spread of the virus on campus would be a much more productive and compassionate use of its platform. Without transparency or action from CUSA, students are left unaware of whether their student union is working to address the pressing health and safety issues at hand.

The students CUSA supports are in need of support and reassurance. This engagement must come through more channels than a $45 crewneck.

Featured image from file.