The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team has finally done it.

For the first time in seven years, they’ve managed to win a spot at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport national soccer championships in Quebec City, and we extend our congratulations.

For the past decade, Carleton has been known for its winning basketball team. The soccer team has always been known as a powerful force in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA), but has never been able to materialize on the national scene as consistently as the soon-to-be record-breaking men’s basketball team.

If the trend continues, this could change.

The winning season coincides with star striker Andrew Latty’s breakout season — one in which he set the Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team’s single-season scoring record at 17.

With continuing fan and school support, the men’s soccer team could continue to be a powerful force on the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) scene. If the men could consistently make nationals, and even win a CIS title, it could shift Carleton’s legacy as a one-sport school.

This, in turn, could attract the NCAA. This summer, Simon Fraser University in B.C. was the first Canadian school to become a member of the NCAA in the league’s 106-year history. Part of the reason for this can be attributed to the school’s record of excelling in multiple sports.

Regardless of what the future holds, this is a well-deserved milestone for the young men’s soccer team.