University is a significant transitional period. With new homes, new friends and new experiences, it’s natural for students to experience loneliness. 

But during these times, it’s also important for students to understand the difference between solitude and loneliness. It’s normal to feel both, but students should be able to identify which one they feel, so they know how to respond.

To experience solitude is to feel fulfilled and connected, despite being physically alone. While loneliness often feels upsetting, solitude can feel peaceful or even pleasant. 

Carleton University Chancellor’s Professor Robert Coplan said he equates solitude to being “offstage.” In a space of solitude, a person can experience the freedom to be authentically themself, rather than putting on a “performance” for others. 

Published by Concordia University’s Counselling and Psychological Services, the Expressions of Being Alone workbook walks readers through the important lessons of both solitude and loneliness. Readers can use the workbook’s reflections prompts to explore their relationships with their feelings and consider the positivity behind experiences of solitude. 

While university is often advertised as a highly social place, tools like this workbook remind students of the value in spending time alone. Solitude can recharge low social batteries, provide time for reflection and even fuel creativity. 

Concordia Health and Wellness has taken the promotion of solitude one step further with Zen Dens—rejuvenation hubs that offer services like wellness professionals, therapy dogs and yoga classes on a drop-in basis. These spaces promote the immense value of solitude, and these workshops make space for introspection and self-reflection.

Alone time can look different for everyone. 

Some students struggle with loneliness, and others appreciate solitude as a refuge for peace of mind. Either way, it’s important for students to understand the benefits of solitude and for society to strive to normalize both.

Self-dates, solo walks and relaxing alone in your room are all good ways to recharge and celebrate being alone. 

While many university students feel pressured to socialize while at school, there should be equal encouragement from the university to explore being alone.

Feature graphic from file.