With the sale of recreational cannabis now legalized, a new industry has opened up through government websites and supposedly eventually by private companies also. The global cannabis market is expected to be worth $194 billion in seven years, according to a BMO study. But, rather than embracing the research and student jobs that this will provide, many universities have chosen to take a different approach.

Sixty-five university campuses across Canada now ban smoking outright, with most having banned consuming cannabis on campus. University of British Columbia (UBC) is one of the few universities that allow cannabis consumption on school grounds.

Most campuses’ approaches to cannabis are a reflection of the wider stigma around the use of cannabis, which exists despite national legalization. The federal government’s approach to legalization has been unclear on various regulatory issues. With this demand for both product and workers, it is clear there is an opportunity for much economic and research innovation. 

Various colleges offer cannabis production courses; UBC is researching cannabis-infused beverages, and newer companies are looking to develop groundbreaking technology in cannabis production, such as “William,” a robot programmed to farm cannabis crops.

There is work being done to gain the most out of legalization—and instead of participating, Carleton preferred to follow the approach of many other universities in banning the use of cannabis on campuses.

Instead of bending to the stigma, the university should strive to be on the forefront of the innovation in this new industry, by providing education and research opportunities into cannabis. This can only start by re-evaluating the value of a campus-wide ban.