The National Gallery of Canada’s decision to admit Indigenous peoples for free is an action that more Canadian arts institutions should take in order to promote accessibility and representation.

While Canadian arts institutions have a long way to go towards reconciliation, free admission is one step towards fair and open communication with Indigenous communities.

As dozens of art galleries across Canada profit from displaying Indigenous art, these institutions must acknowledge and support the generations of people who have created the works they display.

Many works of Indigenous art on display have been stolen from the communities they came from to be put on display for non-Indigenous audiences. While efforts to repatriate these works are valuable, admitting Indigenous peoples free of charge is an additional step that galleries must take.

Art galleries cannot support Indigenous cultures and reconciliation while housing stolen works on stolen land and making Indigenous people pay to see them.

Limiting access to Indigenous cultures, such as by imposing financial barriers in order to view Indigenous works of art, can limit Indigenous peoples’ opportunities to protect and learn about their cultures.

As some Canadian institutions have alienated and continue to alienate Indigenous cultures from many Indigenous peoples, the very least these institutions can do is provide a free space for Indigenous people to learn and explore the art their ancestors have created.