A recent student petition is trying to bring attention to the lack of cleanliness of the washrooms on campus, specifically the gender-neutral one on the third floor of the University Centre (UC).

“The overflowing toilets are neglected,” the petition states, “and students have taken it upon themselves to write warning signs on the doors.”

The petition illustrates an important issue on campus: while there are some clean washrooms on campus, many are not.

The first floor washroom in the River Building frequently smells terrible, and the floor is often covered in toilet paper, especially later on in the day. According to a timesheet posted inside the washrooms, they’re apparently cleaned two to three times a day.

While part of the responsibility for keeping the washrooms on campus clean lies with the students, the university should be doing more to ensure that they do not get to this point.

Moreover, the gender-neutral washrooms should be cleaned regularly, as there are fewer of them on campus compared to other washrooms. Lack of cleanliness of those washrooms makes finding accessible washrooms more difficult for those who need them.

Students shouldn’t need a petition in order to make the washrooms on campus clean and hygienic. The university should take into account which washrooms on campus are used the most, and adjust their cleaning schedule accordingly.