Utah Valley University (UVU) is telling distracted pedestrians texters to watch where they walk by providing them with a separate walking lane.

Markers separating walkers, runners, and texters were installed on a staircase in the school’s main student building June 7.

Although this was intended as an art project, UVU’s creative director Matt Bambrough said the texting lane was interpreted in ways he did not intend.

“The funny thing is, we never really went into this thinking, ‘well, here’s a social problem. We need to solve the texting and walking epidemic that plagues your world,’” Bambrough said.

Bambrough said the aim was to beautify its campus through art, and give a unique interaction and experience to its students.

“It was about the visual presence—creating an environmental graphic that’s going to engage people,” he said. “We want to relate to our students and understand their culture.”

Nevertheless, Bambrough said he is enthusiastic about the overwhelmingly positive exposure his art project has received.

“We have created a conversation and encouraged universities to implement creative solutions based on their needs on campus,” he said.

The texting lane went viral in June, with over 1,100 media outlets reporting on the lane, according to Melinda Colton, director of public relations at UVU.

“I’ve had interviews with radio stations around the world,” Bambrough said. “A Japanese radio station last week, a New Zealand radio station a couple weeks ago—it’s gone all over the globe.”

The texting lane is only phase one, Bambrough said. He said he intends to create more art projects related to the student experience at UVU.

“Whether it’s humorous, visually appealing, calming, etc., we want to create the best environment for our students,” Bambrough said.

Bambrough said there are currently no plans to expand the texting lanes beyond that staircase.