Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Universities Canada, a national organization representing 97 universities, has adopted 13 principles intended to close the education gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities in Canada.

Announced June 29, it comes less than a month after the release of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s report on the residential school system.

“Canadian universities have been working on these principles for a number of years,” said Universities Canada communications officer Nadine Robitaille in an email.

The principles include promoting dialogue and intercultural engagement between Indigenous and non-Indigenous students, recognizing the importance of providing more academic programs, services, support mechanisms and spaces dedicated to Indigenous students.

Recognizing the importance of Indigenous-focused curriculum and greater exposure and knowledge for non-Indigenous students on the realities, histories, cultures and beliefs of Indigenous people in Canada, are also among the principles.

“Currently, only 9.8 per cent of Indigenous people in Canada have a university degree, compared to 26.5 per cent of non-Aboriginals,” Robitaille said.

She added these principles will help advance educational opportunities for Indigenous people in Canada, closing the education gap and beneficial for all Canadians.

Robitaille said the principles are guidelines, and are not meant to be a “one-size fits all” solution.

Rodney Nelson, chair of Carleton University’s Aboriginal Education Council, said Carleton has already implemented many of these principles into their structure such as increasing Aboriginal faculty and content in their curriculum.

“[Carleton] is doing really well at this point,” Nelson said. “It takes a long time to move a bureaucracy, but this has become a priority for the university.”

He added Carleton had set up a task force in prior years to look at issues surrounding accessible education for Indigenous people.

The university also currently has seven Indigenous faculty members, a number that Nelson said is steadily growing. However, Canadian universities vary with how well they address issues surrounding Aboriginal education.

Larry Chartrand, an associate professor of law at the University of Ottawa (U of O), said the university is behind and has a very poor record in terms of addressing education for Indigenous people.

He added although the 13 principles released are a positive step forward, it is the responsibility of the universities to implement them.

“They’re very aspirational,” Chartrand said. “Universities can very well recognize the importance of these issues but still not do anything towards implementing them.”

Chartrand said Indigenous faculty members have not been consulted on these principles at U of O. Consultation of members of the Indigenous communities is one of the principles, he added. Nelson said although these principles are not revolutionary ideas, every Canadian university should take the time to look at and implement them.

“Education for a long time has been a scary word with residential schools and a lot of people are coming out of them don’t trust the system,” Nelson said. “[The principles] make a good environment for Indigenous people to come to a university setting.”

Chartrand said that one of the main barriers to positive relations between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people is a lack of understanding and failure of some Canadians to appreciate Indigenous history, culture, and struggles.

But “effective implementation of these principles,” Chartrand said, “will go a long way in breaking that barrier.”