Former Carleton professor Hassan Diab is expected to appeal the June 6 decision of Ontario Superior Court Justice Robert Maranger to grant a French request for his extradition, the Ottawa Citizen reported.

Diab is awaiting the decision of Justice Minister Rob Nicholson, who has the power to overturn Maranger’s order. If the ruling is upheld, Diab will look to the Ontario Court of Appeal.

According to the Citizen, experts predict the case will end up at the Supreme Court of Canada.

Diab was arrested in 2008 after French authorities alleged he was responsible for the 1980 bombing of a French synagogue. He has maintained his innocence throughout the trial.

The French case rests on the assertion that the handwriting of the bomber on a hotel registration card matches that of Diab.

However, defence experts have also discredited the French handwriting analysis as “confusing” and “unreliable.” The Citizen reports that Maranger himself described the evidence against Diab as “problematic . . . with conclusions that are suspect.”

Diab’s wife, Carleton professor Rania Tfaily, said the case has caused Diab and his family a great deal of stress.

“The case has had a tremendous effect on our lives,” she said.

Tfaily said Diab’s expensive electronic monitoring device for which they must pay, in addition to legal fees, has been a strain.

She also said Diab’s strict bail conditions are a source of constant frustration and have a major impact on their daily life.

However, Diab and his wife remain optimistic that one day his name will be cleared.

“[Diab’s] innocence is what keeps us hopeful about the future,” Tfaily said.