(Graphics by Austin Yao)

The Carleton University Students’ Association’s (CUSA) Health and Wellness Centre is exploring programming ideas such as free yoga and walk-in clinics for students who want advice on eating and healthy living, according to Reda Zarrug, vice-president (student services).

The centre will have a decided list of programming when CUSA hires a co-ordinator, Zarrug said.

“However students can expect to see free yoga, an opportunity to visit health professionals including nutritionists and . . . options students have on campus and in the greater Ottawa community concerning healthy, active living,” Zarrug said via email.

Yoga Pose 1The co-ordinator will look into gaps in health-related programming on campus and see how the centre can fill them by working with relevant community organizations and Carleton’s clubs and societies, Zarrug said.

Third-year communications student Amanda To said she would be interested in getting advice through the centre.

“The only thing I really know how to cook is pasta, toast, anything that comes from a box or is frozen . . . or I’ll eat on campus a lot,” she said.

“We are students, we have so much work we need to do. Having a place where we can get away from assignments and papers . . . it’s kind of nice,” To said.

However, she said there is a limit to what a third party can do for you.

“I think they can provide suggestions, but it’s really up to the students themselves to make the change,” she said.

CUSA allocated $2,000 to fund the centre’s projects in the 2013-14 budget.

In total with wages and other items such as office supplies, the centre is budgeted $9,700 for 2013-14, after $1,182.29 was spent last year, according to the budget.

The centre will be run out of 314A Unicentre, a room inside the Bill Ellis Centre for Mature and Part Time Students, Zarrug said.