The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) passed a motion to strike and fill an ad-hoc accountability committee at a Sept. 26 council meeting.

According to the meeting agenda, the purpose of the committee is to hold accountability sessions “in which students can voice concerns about CUSA initiatives, executives, and councillor members.” The committee will then filter the concerns and present it as anonymous feedback.

York said in the meeting that the committee will have consultation sessions with students at least once every semester.

The committee will consist of two councillors, each from different faculties, and one student-at-large.

The motion was moved by Ahmed Abdalla, a faculty of engineering and design councillor, and was seconded by Natalie York, CUSA vice-president (internal).

While Abdalla was not present at the meeting, his proxy and former councillor Andrew Vicencio said in the meeting that the purpose of establishing an accountability committee is to receive feedback anonymously.

“The reason why (Abdalla) wanted this committee is just as a way for us to get feedback, accountability and transparency between us and the constituents,” he said.

Four councillors were self-nominated, from which faculty of science councillor Richard Ositashvili and Abdalla himself were elected to the committee.

In addition to the accountability committee, council also discussed a motion to fill two student with disabilities seats on the accessibility fund committee was also on the agenda. The motion was moved by York and seconded by CUSA president David Oladejo. However, after no nominations, it was tabled to the next council meeting.

________________________________________________________________________

Photo by Jasmine Foong