[Photo from file]

The Ottawa Senators revealed their new jerseys on Oct. 6, following the team’s announcement to return to the two-dimensional centurion logo in September.

The Sens pay homage to their past with the new kits, as they bear a striking resemblance to their original jerseys from the 90s and early 2000s. The team will forgo a third alternate jersey for next years’ campaign, and will instead wear black at home and white while on the road.

The return to the classic jerseys has been anticipated by fans for years now. So far, the new jerseys have been met with excitement and approval.

Anthony LeBlanc, president of Sens business operations who was in charge of the rebrand, said “this is something that’s been coming for quite some time”

The players are also thrilled to see the return of the classic uniforms. Star winger Brady Tkachuk shared his opinion while taking promotional photos prior to the unveiling.

“I think they’re the best uniforms I’ve seen in the NHL,” Tkachuk said. “I think every Senators fan will have the itch to go get it.”

The new Ottawa Senators jersey are up for sale on the Ottawa Senators website [Photo: Screengrab]
Head coach D. J. Smith also spoke on the meaning of the rebrand to him.

“It’s when the organization was at its best. We’re looking to get back there,” he said.

The Senators had a long run of success while wearing the old uniforms.

The team previously wore the uniforms from 1992-2007 and enjoyed their most successful on-ice years as a franchise during that time. They made the Stanley Cup Final in 2007, ultimately succumbing to the Anaheim Ducks in five games. They also boasted the best record in the league in the 2002-2003 season, and qualified for the playoffs every year from 1997-2007.

More recently, the Sens have not enjoyed that level of success. They’ve managed to have either the worst or second-worst record in the NHL every year for the past three seasons. The jersey change seems to be in line with the theme of starting anew as the team looks to start winning once again.

The organization continued the rebuilding process on Oct. 6, as they held a plethora of picks in this years’ NHL draft. They acquired the third overall pick from the San Jose Sharks as a result of the infamous Erik Karlsson trade two years ago.

The Sens got the 28th overall pick from the New York Islanders in February, with the Isles acquiring fan favourite player Jean-Gabriel Pageau. Ottawa also earned the fifth overall choice from the NHL draft lottery.

Sens general manager Pierre Dorion made the most of these selections picking up Germany’s top pro league’s rookie of the year, forward Tim Stützle at number three. The Sens also picked up defenseman Jake Sanderson fifth overall, and centre Ridly Greig 28th overall.

There seems to be a cautious sense of optimism surrounding this young Senators team, and with the added flair of their new threads, something special could be brewing in Ottawa.

As the organization tries to turn things around, a return to the classic jerseys may be just what they need.