Grant Shephard (11) reacts during the Carleton Ravens men's basketball team's game against the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks on Nov. 20, 2021 at the Ravens' Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by L. Manuel Baechlin/The Charlatan]

Like clockwork, the Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team is back in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) playoffs for the 23rd consecutive season. The last time Carleton sat on the sidelines while other teams competed for OUA supremacy was 1997-98—only three seasons after current head coach Taffe Charles played for the team.

It’s a stretch of dominance that’s hard to fathom. The Ravens haven’t always won the OUA championship over that stretch—they’ve missed out six times since the 2002-03 season—but it’s a rare occurrence for them to not head home with the Wilson Cup.

Here’s what you need to know about Carleton’s championship hopes this year.

What’s happened this season?

Last weekend, the Ravens wrapped up a perfect 14-0 season, the 10th in program history. It’s also the shortest Carleton season since 1995-96 due to pandemic-related schedule changes.

COVID-19 has been the biggest challenge for Carleton this year. Normally, the Ravens play anywhere from 10 to 20 pre-season exhibition games, including some against Division 1 teams in the NCAA. This year, they played only seven, all against U Sports competition.

The Ravens also usually have a month-long break around the holidays, during which they can still train. This year, the Omicron surge caused a 77-day layoff between games and no practice for a month and a half.

As a result, the Ravens are in the rare position of not being as prepared as they normally are, although it hasn’t cost them so far this season.

What should I look for in the playoffs?

One of the biggest stories right now is the status of team cornerstone Alain Louis. Louis suffered an upper-body injury on Feb. 24 that sidelined him for four games, only returning for Carleton’s final regular season game on March 12.

Louis is an essential part of the Ravens’ success. He ranks third on the team in minutes per game and first in assists per game. Without him, the Ravens found ways to succeed, but games were tougher than they should’ve been, like Carleton’s narrow five-point win against the University of Toronto on Feb. 25.

Carleton Ravens men’s basketball guard Alain Louis (13) goes for a layup during the final regular season game of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) season at the Ravens’ Nest in Ottawa, Ont. on Saturday, Mar. 12, 2022. The Ravens won the game 94-75 over the Queen’s Gaels to finish a perfect 14-0 season. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Despite returning on March 12, Louis wasn’t playing at full tilt. He logged only 16 minutes, his fewest of the season.

Rust is expected from 22 days without game action. But the question of how much the Ravens can rely on Louis as they face formidable teams has yet to be answered.

Who should Carleton be scared of?

The simple answer is, well, no one. But to entertain the question, what team will give Carleton its biggest fight?

The Ravens received a first-round bye and should be able to breeze through the quarterfinals against the Ryerson Rams. Once a team that challenged Carleton for its national championship as recently as 2018, the Rams have fallen off in recent years, posting an 8-6 record this season.

If the Ravens win that game, they will face either the uOttawa Gee-Gees or the Queen’s Gaels in the semifinals. Carleton faced both teams in the regular season and should be able to beat them again.

The team Carleton should be afraid of is the Brock Badgers, who are the number one seed in the OUA West and could play Carleton in the Wilson Cup final. Brock went 15-1 in the regular season.

The Ravens have yet to face a team of that calibre and how they respond may determine whether they end up with another Wilson Cup.

The Ravens will tip off against the Rams at the Ravens’ Nest on Saturday at 8 p.m.

Featured image by L. Manuel Baechlin.