Carleton Ravens women's basketball forward Madison Reid (9) fights for the ball during the final Ontario University Athletics (OUA) regular season matchup at the Ravens' Nest in Ottawa, Ont. on Saturday, Mar. 12, 2022. The Ravens lost the game 71-60 against the Queen's Gaels. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

In their final games of the regular season, the Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team took on the Queen’s University Gaels, winning 64-61 on Friday and losing 71-60 on Saturday.

Saturday’s game at the Ravens’ Nest marked senior’s night for Carleton. Guard Madison Reid, one of the seniors on the team, didn’t take long to make an impact—in the first four minutes, she broke the school record for most career three-pointers.

Reid entered the game with 118 three-point shots made and with one simple play, she broke the previous record set by Alyson Bush in 2013. It took Bush 106 games to accomplish the feat, but Reid did it in just 69.

Reid finished the game, and her last regular season as a Raven, with 121 three-pointers. 

“I had no idea what the record was, or who had it, but I’m grateful,” Reid said.

Even with a tailbone injury earlier this month, Reid continues to play an important part in the Ravens’ success. 

“Her ability to score and shoot the ball is something in my time I haven’t seen much of,” head coach Dani Sinclair said. “She can definitely bail you out of some tough spots and she did that this weekend.”

Friday’s game, at the Queen’s Athletics and Recreation Centre in Kingston, Ont., started out strong for the Ravens as their defensive strategy continued to improve. But the Gaels came to the court ready to fight and the score remained close through the first quarter. The Queen’s defence effectively attacked the Carleton offense.

Sinclair said COVID-19 restrictions have made it challenging to find consistency on the court.

“With all the stops and starts and the lockdown, there’s been short preparation. Everybody’s had to do a lot of stuff on the fly and so it’s not pretty basketball by any means,” Sinclair said. “The biggest thing that’s gonna make the difference is who’s tougher, who plays harder and who plays well together.”

By halftime, the Ravens had pulled ahead of the Gaels 37-31. They maintained their lead through the second half.

Saturday’s game, back home at the Ravens’ Nest, brought a chance at redemption for the Gaels and they brought their all to the court. 

Even with Reid’s record, the rest of the game went downhill for the Ravens. The team struggled to sink baskets and had several shots roll off the rim. The Ravens usually-strong offense was missing, along with guard Kali Pocrnic.

Pocrnic, who plays a key role in the Ravens offensive success, did not make an appearance on the court in the second game.

In the end, the Ravens’ lack of energy lost them the game, ending the season 10-4. They did, however, secure second in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East standings and will play the uOttawa Gee-Gees in the quarterfinals this Saturday at the Ravens’ Nest.

Featured image by Spencer Colby.